There are many ways to block websites on Android. You can download an app, use a free browser extension, or edit your host’s file. The best way is to work with your network administrator, but there are some straightforward steps you can take without their help that will give you the same result. So if you wondered how to block websites on android let’s explore it in this article!
Use a parental control app
One of the easiest options is to use a parental control app. These apps are designed just for blocking websites that you don’t want your kids accessing, and they have great features! They can block any site on Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers easily with only one tap.
How it works: You install the app on any Android device in your household (tablet, phone) and set up an account. There’s usually no cost involved except maybe some data charges if using mobile data instead of Wi-Fi at home. Then you log into the website from your browser and add sites that should be blocked to a list within the application settings. When someone tries to visit those sites from their device, they’ll see this message informing them access has been denied.
Here are some best call blocking app android:
This app is great for parents who want to keep track of their kids’ online activities. You can see which websites they’ve visited, what apps they’ve downloaded and used, and how much time they’re spending on their devices each day.
The app also includes a GPS location tracking feature so you always know where your child is, as well as a panic button for emergencies. The app is available in a basic and premium versions. The latter has more features, such as two-way call recording and the ability to remotely lock their device if they’re traveling abroad or you believe them to be at risk of getting lost.
eyeZy is a parental control app that’s free to use and doesn’t require any type of login. It blocks websites on Android devices by editing the host’s file, which we’ll discuss later in this article.
To add a website to the block list, you simply open the eyeZy app, enter the address, and hit “add.” The app will then keep your child from being able to access that site. You can also choose to receive an email notification whenever someone attempts to visit a blocked website.
This app is one of the most popular parental control apps and has been around for over 20 years. It offers features like internet time scheduling, app blocking, and monitoring, website filtering, and more.
Net Nanny can block apps on Android devices that aren’t in the Google Play Store or have been blocked by your network administrator. It also works with iOS/iPhone as well. You can even view log reports to see where your children are going online from all accounts at once!
This app is marketed to parents, employers, and spouses. It includes features like call interception and recording, location tracking, password cracking, and more.
FlexiSPY can be used to block websites on Android devices as well. To do so, you need to purchase the “Internet Monitoring” add-on. Once it’s enabled, you’ll be able to see a list of all the websites that have been blocked and also unblock them if needed.
How to block websites on Android without app
In the end, most Android users choose to block websites using a 3rd party program because it is convenient and effective. However, if you just want to prevent a website from loading on your Android phone or tablet without installing any App, you’ll need to manually alter the settings of your web browsers or add extensions.
There are several web browsers available, but we’ll highlight the top four among Android phone or tablet users: Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Microsoft Edge to demonstrate how to prevent websites without using an app. We also include the steps to block websites on Samsung Internet for Android users.
Switch to a family-friendly web browser
The majority of Android users now browse the web on their phones via a browser installed on the device, There are numerous web browsers that may be downloaded for free. Is there a clean and secure online environment available in any of them?. Yes, you may use the SPIN Safe Browser.
You can use this as a web browser to access blocked material on some sites. Inappropriate information is automatically removed from specified websites using SPIN, which is a web browser created for Internet filters. Simply open this browser, select it as your preferred web browser, and you’re done. There’s no need to sign up or set up anything after you’ve made it your default web browser; it will just work.
Use an anti-virus app
Some anti-virus apps have the ability to block websites on Android, but it’s not a feature that most of them offer. However, you may use one app for both purposes; some features are overlapping and overlap is good if you need to manage all your devices in the same way. Norton Security and McAfee are two good examples of apps that can both protect your device from viruses and malware, as well as block websites.
How to block a website on Android by editing hosts file
Alternatively, you may use a host file to prevent it from connecting to your network. If you know how to edit a host file, you can also do so programmatically. To prevent particular websites, modify the host files on your Android device. A Host file is a plain-text file in an operating system that maps hostnames to their IP addresses. Alternatively, you may accomplish this on a Windows PC or with an Android app on your phone or tablet.
1) On Windows PC
- Go to the Platform-tools download page (https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html) and download the SDK Platform-Tools on your computer.
- Install the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) command-line tool on your computer if you haven’t already. It allows you to control a device over USB using this program.
- Connect your Android device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Go to the command prompt and execute the command “adb devices.”
- To pull down the host file, enter “adb pull /system/etc/hosts F:\\hosts”, or replace F with the directory where you want to copy the host file.
- Open the downloaded host file in Notepad or another text editor and change it there. Go to the folder where you saved the file and make changes.
- Open the host file, and add the IP address and websites URL.
- To restore the host file to your device using ADB, use the following command: “adb push F:\hosts /system/etc/”. You may replace F with the directory in which you save your host file.
2) On Andoird Device
- Download and install ES File Explorer File Manager from the Google Play store on your Android device.
- Select “Open” from the drop-down menu, then click on the / button to find hosts file. Scroll down to locate it.
- Click the hosts file, click Open as > Text > ES Note Editor > Edit, and then select “Open as Text.”
- To block a website, add it to the host file. For example, if you want to block the website www.abc.com, you must write down 127.0.0.1 www.abc.com on a piece of paper or in your computer’s browser history so that when it connects to the internet via a proxy server, it will appear as though the request is coming from this IP address. By the way, you must restart your Android phone to apply the changed settings.
There are a variety of apps to block websites including porn blocker android, depending on your needs. You can use a family-friendly web browser, website blocker app, parental control app, or anti-virus app. Alternatively, you may use an Android app to edit the host’s file and block specific websites. Whichever method you choose, be sure to test it first so that you won’t have any issues later on. The method you choose may be the best for your needs, but remember to test all of them in order to find out.